Monday, November 15, 2010

Calgary Run/So Much Fun

Yesterday I went to Calgary, to visit family but also to check out some Lambrettas + parts that Daaren of Benzina has.  I'm just sayin'...short of visiting the Museo Piaggio/Piaggio Museum in Pontedera, Italy, Daaren's stable of scooters is about the most impressive collection of two-strokey awesomeness that I've ever seen.  I had a great visit and learned a whole lot of things about Lambretta's, their history, why they're awesome, and why I'm gonna have a hell of a time finding an Innocenti horn cast for my Series 2.  (If you have one, I would like it.  Please sell it to me now plzkthnx).

I ended up getting a quick lesson on changing gear-box oil, which isn't entirely different from changing it in the P200.  It's something I already have a grasp on, so that's cool.  I also got a lesson on the best oils to use and why.  I also got some really great advice about restoration projects in general, and my scooter specifically.  When I first started this by buying the scooter, I admit I was a little tummy-sick.  I was worried that I was in over my head, that it may be an impossible project, or that I had bought something that really wasn't worth much.  The more I talk to Lambretta people especially, the better I'm feeling about this.  I DID GOOOOOOOD. 


I ended up spending some money on a legshield and front fender.  My TV 175 has it's legshield, but it's a little banged up.  The one Daaren sold me is in much better condition.  The best part is, the one I already had is re-sellable.  When this is all said and done, I plan on putting it on eBay to see what I can get for it.    The front fender needs a little bit of work, but it's not terrible.  It's actually a lot better than I expected.    Once again, things are falling into place fairly smoothly.  It gives me faith.

I haven't told the scooter club that I bought it yet, but apparently news travels kinda fast.  I hope there is a get together this weekend so that I can do some PR work.  (I love you guys, don't hate me for buying this in a shroud of secrecy!)  :)  The truth is, one member, who I really trust opinion wise, kinda told me not to even bother looking at it.  I think he knows my skill level and probably had my best interests in heart when saying that, but I ignored him anyways.   I went out and bought it and,  because of his advice, I felt like I shouldn't say anything about it just incase I had made a huge mistake.  The more research I do, both into Lambrettas and into restorations, the more I feel that I made a good choice.  Anyways, I hope they understand why I didn't say anything, and hopefully no one will be put out about it.

This morning I got my Lambretta Club USA forum approval.  Now I can send off my application form and money and become a proper member.  Apparently the scene is pretty tight and friendly, I would like to be a part of it.

Here are some pictures of what I bought (thanks again Daaren, you are great!):

You can't have a scooter trip without Skittles.  That's just a fact.  

The Series 2 TV 175 with it's new legshield.  
(also check out my P200 with MOD license plate.  Sorry Sparkle Motion, but that plate is gonna be the Lammy's one day)

The front fender.
None of them are pretty right now, but in the future they will be.


Next Step(s):  Contact the person who emailed me about a headset bottom and see if we can strike a deal, take some pictures that Daaren wanted,  send off my LCUSA application, find and order a copy of the Stickies Lambretta book (I may have the name wrong, but I'll find it).

The Damage So Far:  $1000 (the actual scooter), $200 (Legshield), $100 (Front fender), Stolen paper and ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment